Sunday, April 20, 2014

What did you go through?

This Easter weekend all of my husband's siblings were in town. We had a big photo shoot. The first one we have had in my 17 years of being married to the family. It was great. Really it was. I love my little family and my husband's family is great. They really are. I just have a few gripes.

The year that we started trying to have our 5th we had 3 pregnancies that had due dates in 2012. That year all of Trav's siblings but him had babies. They took a picture of those 3 little one year olds. Trav and I were watching and I tried very casually to say, "We would have had one that age too." And he said, "I know." But we were the only ones that knew.
And then later when everyone else was gathered at our house in the evening, we were all hanging out in the dining room. I said something about only having one friend. We talked about having friends and having good friends. And I said, "After what Trav and I have been through, it shows you who your friends really are." And his mom was shocked and said "What did you go through?" like she had missed something. And his sister said, ".....the miscarriages?" And his mom still looked surprised. And then Trav said, "We just lost a baby." "Oh."
Yes. Oh. It's only been 2 months. Everyone else has forgotten. I wondered why no one asked or brought up the fact that we lost our baby when I visited my family in Oregon for 10 days. Not once did anyone ask. I brought it up. Only my sister-in-law let me talk about it. And now I realize that they forgot too.
I wish I could forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment